Sunday, November 15, 2009

21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

I picked up a six pack/box of this at the great State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD a couple of months back. I wanted to try something new instead of my favorite hoppy IPA-ness flowing through my veins.

Appearance: Opaque yellow pour that is alive with sizzling carbonation that fizzles to no head. Color turns to a cloudy orange as the beer settles that does not look inviting. Shocked of the differences within a minute between the pour and aftermath.

Smell: Caramel malts blended with some biscuit action that remind me of Waffle Huts on ski resorts. I can sense the sugar candy scent of a watermelon flavored Jolly Rancher candy.

Taste: Clearly refreshing and can totally hit the spot on a hot summer day for sure. Watermelon is not overpowering and sweet from what I expected (this is a good thing). No bittering hops to taste which is shocking for me but fits the style.

Mouthfeel: Goes to smooth and bubbly with a light watermelon coating over your tongue that is not overpowering. Aftertaste escapes quickly but isn't pleasing partly due to the wheat style.

Drinkability: Totally not like me to be drinking a wheat beer but hey, I am expanding my pallet damnit! As much as I miss the hops slapping me in my face, for this style, it is a good beer. I might get bored of it after 2-3 but I like this creation and have never seen anything like it. This is my second beer that I have tried from 21st (had IPA before) and looking forward to see what else they make. 4.9% abv and a 8/10 rating

2 comments:

Mike said...

Nice review, Jimbo. I'm impressed with your adventure into expanding your palate. Is there any mention on the bottle or their site about actually using watermelon in any part of the process or do they just use watermelon extract for flavoring and scent?

Greg said...

Nice review.

I made the mistake of getting a six pack of these since some people were coming over and I wanted to have something I thought would be more accessible. Turns out everyone thought it was gross and on top of that I caught shit for buying a fruit beer for the rest of the night. It had too much of a candy watermelon flavor for me. It was hard to make it the whole way through one.