Thursday, September 24, 2009

Southern Tier Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale

From fellow hophead Ryan:

"Don't know if Jimmy told you, but the Southern Tier Pumking Imperial Pumpkin ale is legit. In my past dealings with pumpkin ales, I found them to be a nice spicy treat, but with no "real" pumpkin flavor. Not this one. It's brewed with pumpkin puree (HORRAY!), caramel malts, and two varieties of hops. And it comes as advertised. The aroma is like Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie, and the taste is a nice (and authentic) pumpkin flavor mixed with cinnamon spice and caramel sweetness (great balance). Also, at 9% there was absolutely NO alcoholic tinge to it, which I found very surprising. Usually, with spiced beers like this, when they get up past 7% they start to have a smell and taste of alcohol. Also, in my tasting (didn't happen for jimmy), as it warmed, the caramel flavor kicked into high gear, and actually overshadowed the pumpkin flavor and spice a bit too much for my liking, giving it an overly sweet taste (which knocked it down a few marks, as I am not a fan of too much sweet). I'd give it a 8.85/10 and definitely want to have another go at it."

No comments: