Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (2003)


Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring except two giganormous humans (Yea, that so doesn't rhyme). We just got back from Christmas Eve church and my dad busted out this rare bomber bottle (1 pint 9.6 ounces) with a cork in it of 2003 Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (The Imperial India Pale Ale). This bottle literally did not see any light while aging in the cellar from when I graduated high school in 2003 and hated beer till present day Xmas eve 2008.

Note: I did not review this because it was still a week after my deviated septum surgery and my nose was not functioning properly as well as looking like a cross between Rudolph the red-nose reindeer and Pinocchio. So I apologize in advance for my lame review.

This was only the second time ever that I had 120 minute. My first was on tap at some random bar in Washington D.C. that I went to with fellow hopheads Alex & Mike. The taste was rich and not as super sweet as I remembered. It took 2 hours to finish and savor this beauty, which comes in at a whopping 18% abv I think. Reminded me of sipping on a fine port wine and appreciating the delicacy of this god-like nectar.

Addition (1/5/09): Review from King Adubahbi who helped slay this beast: "characteristics of a Belgian tripel, complex, HUGE. The original residual sugars have dried out nicely."

2 comments:

Mike said...

You are no Dr. Seuss that's for sure. The bar was Pizzeria Paradiso, the Georgetown location, which had a great selection of brews. For the full effect, you need to go to the basement which has limited lounge seating, but a great atmosphere for serious beer drinkers, as well as good eats which we unfortunately never got because we arrived too late. Maybe we could revisit this place on a future DC excursion? Here's the beer list: http://www.eatyourpizza.com/birreria_paradiso_beer_list.php

Mike said...

Since the comments don't like addresses, here's a link.

Pizzeria Paradiso