Saturday, January 24, 2009

Avery Presidential Pale Ale

Ale to the Chief! I picked this brew up months ago, then decided to keep it to drink on inauguration day. Well, since I put it in my cabinet, it was out of sight, out of mind, and of course I forgot to drink it upon the fateful day. Well, I figure the first Saturday night of the new presidency is as good a night as any to break it out, rather than wait another 4 years.

Appearance: Hazy amber in color, finger or two of head in a Sam Adams glass, and sticky lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Smell: Suprisingly caramel-ey. I figured as a "Presidential Pale Ale" the emphasis would be on the "Pale" part, but I think they're going for "Presidential" as a more democratic version of "imperial." This guy is very much a DIPA at heart.

Taste: A lot like Avery's delicious Hog Heaven but with a "paler" aftertaste. The caramel malts smooth out the Cascade hops.

Mouthfeel: Oily hop resins stick to the tongue. Mmm.

Drinkability: 8.75% ABV, not for the faint of heart, but who are we kidding, its par for this blog's course. Its real tasty, but stay out of trouble and stick to one per night.

No comments: