Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lagunitas Pale Ale

It is Saturday night and I need a beer! My brother bought this one for me for Christmas at Oak Tree Discount Wines & Spirits at South Plainfield, NJ.

Appearance: Pours a clear mellow yellow at a 3/4 finger of head. Not too much carbonation.

Smell: Piney hops hit my nasal passageway first, followed by musty malts with a tinge of chamomile.

Taste: The musty malts taste more toasty now and prevail over the hops which are holding up the rear in a sneaky manner.

Mouthfeel: It may feel light and smooth in the palette, but this beer comes packed with a well balanced flavor. Bitter aftertaste that you get with an IPA or ESB.

Drinkability: Goes down smooth at 6.4% abv. I could definitely have another, make that at least 3 to get the evening going. For a Pale Ale, I give it 7/10 hop nuggets.

No comments: