Friday, February 20, 2009

Avery "The Kaiser" Imperial Oktoberfest Lager

I am so fired up for the beer fest tomorrow, so why not pass the time with another review. I picked this one up at State Line as well and I know I've had it before, but again I don't remember specifics. On to the review.

Appearance: Clear, crisp orange color with about a finger of head that lasts for a little while, plenty of carbonation rising to the top.

Smell: Spicey hops and a sweet caramel malt essence, it's kind of an interesting mix because if the color orange had a smell, to me this would be it.

Taste: The sweetness is the first thing you noticed and is what gives its dominant flavor and aftertaste, the spiciness comes in like a topping on a burger, adds that little something but isn't the highlight.

Mouthfeel: A good thickness, not too watery or too heavy, perfectly carbonated, it's like the bubbles do a little dance on your tongue before receding down the throat.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this beer, I haven't had many of this style, but between the sweet flavors and the light texture, its almost comparable to a Belgian. Decently complex flavor, and at 10% abv its relatively easy to drink, although the alcohol does make some presence in the smell and aftertaste. I would only recommend a bomber of this in one night, but definitely worth stocking up on. I'm gonna give it an 8.5/10, but I could be swayed to a 9 by the end of the bomber.

No comments: