Friday, April 10, 2009

Avery Hog Heaven

TGIF!!! I am so ready for an exciting Friday night of ABC family fun with episodes of Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step and Perfect Strangers... Wait a minute, this is 2009, not the 90's era where I was a puny little rug rat with a high pitched no balls type of voice. TGIF circa 2009 means BEER after a tough and stressful week of work. Not just one beer, but many!! Cheers.

I bought this bomber at Ramsey Liquors in NJ. Expensive at $8-9, but mighty worth it I am sure. Fellow red head hop annihilator Alex hearts this brew, so I will make him proud with a review:

Appearance: Foggy and unclear, kind of like scenes from a horror flick. Shades of cherry wood when held up to the light with minor head retention that leaves a vague trace of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Intense caramelly malts fly up to my big jewish nostrils like WOAH. My second sniff brings about some yeasty perfumy aromas; reminds me of the filling of an authentic homade peach pie in the summer.

Taste: Not as scary as I thought, but it sure comes with a punch. Sweet malts clearly stand out on this bottle with hints of walnut. The 2 1/2 pounds per barrel of Columbus dry hops don't stand out to me.

Mouthfeel: You can definitely tast the alcohol as you let this thick and rich body savor in your palette. Sweet carmel finish througout the aftertaste.

Drinkability: I usually wait on having barleywines till the last beer cycle of the night. However, I could not on this Friday and had this 9.2% abv beast with a whopping 100 IBUs before dinner! Damn, all those IBUs and I vaguely tasted or smelled any hops...hmmmm. Does anyone taste any intense hops in theirs? I might have to get another bottle to compare.

2 comments:

Mike said...

That's a shit ton of IBUs, but the sweetness of the malts must really overpower any bitterness from the hops. 9.2% before dinner? Goodnight, James.

Alex said...

I didn't notice the bacon behind the bottle til now. That's gonna get me through whats left of the day, haha.

On a beerier note, thats a fantastic beer and I'm looking forward to drinking the bottle of it I've got.