Monday, April 14, 2008

Three Floyds Brian Boru Old Irish Red Ale

I was donated this beer by the venerable Michael Harkness. All Hail Michael Harkness!

Appearance: RED. I'm a sucker for the deep dark apple-red hue of a good red ale, and this is as good as I've seen. Can't wait to try it. Not much head to it, but damn thats some fine colorin'. Also, as presented in a 22 oz. bomber bottle, it had about the coolest label/cap I've seen in a while. I wish FFF stuff was available where I live so I could collect 'em all!

Smell & Taste: I drank this yesterday, so my memories of it are beginning to fade. I'm gonna do taste and smell together. Whatevah, its my blog. There's a nice little hop spark to this, and its not very heavy to drink. Its interesting. Not as full and hearty as the Red Rocket Ale I reviewed earlier, but I liked it. As Jimmy put it, it's refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation added to the refreshing character of this beer. Crisp. Goes down easy.

Drinkability: I'd say this beer's very drinkable, as a red ale should be. "Only" 5.9% so its not gonna kick you in the face too quickly (could this be the first "Less than 6% ABV" beer reviewed? Oh my, we need new livers).

Overall I recommend it if you can get it. I can't wait to try some more Three Floyd's beverages.

--Edit: This is apparently not the first "less than 6% ABV" beer reviewed, just the first one I've reviewed. Guess I'll still be needin' that liver then.

No comments: