Sunday, March 8, 2009

Defiant Golden Nugget Ale

I stopped by this hidden brewery in my neck of the woods over at Pearl River, NY by the train station this past Friday evening. It looks like an abandoned warehouse on the outside, but there are some serious brewers just waiting for beer drinkers to come in and taste their creations. I ended up having their Golden Nugget pale ale as well as their stout. I brought home of growler of the pale ale. He is what I think:

Appearance: Clear amber pour with 1/2 finger of carbonation (this is from the growler) that dissipates within a couple of minutes. Looks simple and basic to drink in one gulp.

Smell: A well blended clash of sour orange nugget hops and yeasty malts.

Taste: Crisp and refreshing with now more hints of smoky malts.

Mouthfeel: Thin on the palate (this could have been the growler as the pint at the bar had more body). Kind of a musty hop after taste.

Drinkability: I found this to be extra hopped compared to your typical pale ale. Very easy to consume and I would definitely have another one. Not bad for the locals. 7.5/10; guessing ~5% abv

No comments: